Home      Rose Garden      Rose Garden History
Extract from "Scarborough's Floral Heritage" by Genevieve Lord MBE published 1984
 
The Belvedere Rose Garden was part of a thirteen acre site purchased in 1883 by George Lord Beeforth, who subsequently built most of the property at the southern end of the Esplanade, including his home, The Belvedere'.
 The garden was connected to his house by a lighted subway under the public road. This was used as a public Air Raid Shelter during World War 2. He planted over 14,000 rose bushes in beds of formal design within a lawn and named the garden The Large Rosary'. He sheltered it from the east wind by planting hundreds of conifers and deciduous trees.
 On the plateau below The Rosary' was a tennis court which was used for the refreshment side of charity garden parties. Those present could have an excellent home-made tea for sixpence and listen to the band.
The Corporation bought the whole of the thirteen acre private estate in 1912 for £5,500. The Rose Garden for £3,000 and the woodland, plus the site on the distant hill top which in 1925 became the Holbeck Putting Green, for £2,500.
 
BEEFORTH, George Lord 1823 (Scarborough) - 1924 (Scarborough) Reproduced with permission from 'Scarborough's MPs 1832 to 1906 and Mayors 1836 to 1906' published 2008 by Anne & Paul Bayliss (ISBN 0 9506405 7 3).
 
George Lord Beeforth (Lord was a family name) was born on Easter Sunday 1823, the son of Captain George Beeforth and his wife Susannah. Beeforth's father had retired from the merchant navy where he had been employed during the Peninsular War and had set up as a Grocer in Newborough Street, Scarborough. He died in 1833, leaving a widow and six children, with ages ranging from one to 17 years, George, aged 11 being the only boy. A distant cousin, Rev. Joseph Skelton, paid for his education at Scarborough Grammar School.
George Beeforth was then apprenticed to a Scarborough bookseller. When he completed his articles, he set up his own business in St Nicholas Street with capital provided by Rev. Skelton, who by now had the living of both Wykeham and Wold Newton Churches. Beeforth described his business as printer, bookseller, stationer, print and music seller, bookbinder and newspaper agent and he included an art gallery of circulating paintings of the day. The business prospered and in 1864 Beeforth sold it and together with James Liddle Fairless, a Newcastle printer and publisher, they set up an art gallery in London. Here Beeforth and Fairless displayed and sold mainly the work of the French artist Gustave Doré. In 1889, when Beeforth was 66, he sold the London gallery and returned to Scarborough. He invested much of his money in building the terrace of houses from the Prince of Wales Terrace to, but excluding, Red Court on Scarborough's Esplanade. The development included Beeforth's own house, Belvedere.
Before moving to London, Beeforth had been a councillor for the South Ward from 1866 to 1869. On his return to Scarborough in 1889 he took no formal part in local politics although in that year he was appointed a magistrate for the North Riding. In 1893, although not a councillor, he was asked if he would put himself forward to be Mayor to which he agreed and he was duly elected. After his 1893/94 tenure he was twice asked to consider being elected again but on both occasions refused.
 In 1854, George Lord Beeforth married Helen Crawford (1813-1894), the daughter of a Scarborough jeweller. His wife had previously taught music and languages and her knowledge of French had helped Beeforth in his negotiations with Gustave Doré. Their only son, Henry Alicis, born 1856, died in Italy in March 1893 just before Beeforth's term as mayor while his wife Helen died during his term of office in July 1894. Beeforth continued to live in Scarborough and pursued many artistic and intellectual interests.
 George Lord Beeforth died on 12 April 1924 at the age of 101 and is buried in the family grave at Scalby four miles north of Scarborough.
 
 
Extract from Souvenir Programme presented to the employees of Bass, Ratlciff and Gretton, Brewery on the occasion of their excursion to Scarborough, Friday, June 17th 1898
 
“Mr G L Beeforth, who is again taking a personal interest in our visit has offered to allow anyone to inspect his beautiful and extensive private grounds, The Belvedere Gardens just beyond The Spa and South Cliff. I am sure his kindness will be greatly appreciated by a large number of our employees and their families and I trust the privilege will not be in any way abused, but that all will accept the offer gratefully and see that no damage is done to the valuable plants etc.
 A magnificent view of the sea, cliff, town etc, is afforded from the extensive grounds which are close to Holbeck Glen (under the management of the Corporation). It will be remembered that Mr Beeforth was Mayor of Scarborough when we last visited the house in 1894.
“George Lord Beeforth continued to live in “The Belvedere” after the death of his wife in 1894 until about 1909, when he moved to one of his terrace houses No 66 The Esplanade. He remained there until about 1920 when he sold the block, going into No 48 The Esplanade where he died 12th April 1924”
 
 
George Lord Beeforth (1823-1924) and the Rose Gardens
 
Edited text from “Some Scarborough Faces”, 1901 reprinted from The Scarborough Magazine by J. W. Blakey.
He was the Mayor of Scarborough in 1893/4 and is a Scarborough man, also a self made man and he returned to the home of his fathers to enjoy his substance. He was born here in 1823. Being the only son of Captain George Beeforth, who played an important part on the coast of Spain, where he was engaged in the transport service during the Peninsular War. He received his education at Scarborough Grammar School; he was assisted by his relatives and particularly by his cousin, the late Rev Joseph Skelton, the vicar of Wold Newton which secured his success. He then served an apprenticeship to a bookseller and librarian, and in 1848 commenced business in St Nicholas Street. He married a Scarborough lady whose ability and sound judgement were a great help to him.
 He joined a friend, Mr Fairless, in a publishing business in Bond Street, London and from these premises gave to the world a series of line engravings executed by the best French and English engravers, including subjects by Gustave Doré.
 There were few English homes – few homes in Europe, America or the Colonies where some one of the many publications of this firm did not occupy a place.
 The partners not only popularised art, but they got together the famous Dore Gallery and prospered until 1889, when they sold the whole of their interests pictures, plates and copyrights to the Dore Gallery Company. Beeforth had evidently pre-meditated the removal to Scarborough long before it came, for he had already become the owner of a big stretch of the South Cliff, laid out a part as grounds and built upon the remainder. His house, the Belvedere, was built on Esplanade in 1885.
 One of his hobbies was forestry. He was an encyclopaedia on the subject of trees.
 In passing “The Belvedere” you will have noticed that there is a tunnel below the Esplanade. This leads from the house to the grounds on the Cliff side – popularly known as the Belvedere rose gardens – a wild bit of land reclaimed a few years ago and made beautiful by the expenditure of much thought and no doubt much money also. Mr Beeforth held that every scrap of cliff within the Borough boundaries should be planted with trees right down to the seashore and scouts the notion that they will not grow. His argument was that they not only beautify the landscape but that they soften the climate and that many coniferous trees will grow here which will emit a charming and resinous odour. The impression, formerly so general, that evergreen trees would not grow facing the sea he has proved to be fallacious, for he has planted in quantity the evergreen shrubs, Acuba japonica, escallonia macrantha, euonymus, double flowering gorse, hollies, the common laurel, Portugal laurels, laurestinas, olearia hastu, oval-leaved privet, yews of all kinds, garrya ecliptica, Grislinia litttoralis, retinospora, thuiopsis dolobrata etc. All these shrubs were thriving remarkably well, the result being that when, in winter, other grounds are bare, the Belvedere gardens are leaf-clad and might be, judging by their surroundings, in another climate.
 Not only shrubs but evergreen trees did well, Abies nigra,orientalis, Parryana, concolor, nobilis, nordmanniana, pinsapo,auricaria imbricata, cedrus atlantica deodara, Libani, pinus,austriaca, cembra, excelsa,laricio ,montana, insignis, Wellingtonia gigantia* and evergreen oaks. He held that the Corporation should plant with pines every inch of the Cliff which is public property from Peasholm in the North Bay to the White Nab on the south, and that the Cliff Bridge Company should follow suit in the Spa grounds. The evergreens, he said, should be interspersed with the hardiest deciduous trees as in his grounds. These included oaks, sycamores, horse chestmuts, Huntingdon elms, laburnums, maples, medlars, pears, poplars, pyrus aria or service trees, all of which grow well, but he found that the hardiest are the goat willow, silver poplar, sea buckthorn and oaks.
 * In modern terms:
 Picea abies - Norway Spruce
 Picea nigra (now mariana) - Black Spruce
 Picea orientalis - Caucasian Spruce or Oriental Spruce
 Picea parryanna (now pungens) - Blue Spruce
 Abies concolor - White fir
 Abies nobilis - Noble Fir
 Abies nordmanniana - Nordmann Fir
 Abies pinsapo - Spanish Fir
 Araucaria imbricata - Monkey Puzzle Tree
 Cedrus atlantica - Atlas Cedar
 Cedrus deodara - Deodar Cedar
 Cedrus libani - Cedar of Lebanon
 Pinus austriaca (now nigra var. Austriaca) - Austrian Pine
 Pinus cembra - Arolla Pine or Swiss Stone Pine
 Pinus excelsa (now wallichiana) - Bhutan Pine
 Pinus laricio (now nigra var. maritima) - Corsican Pine
 Pinus montana (now unicinata) - Mountain Pine
 Pinus insignia (now radiata) - Monterey Pine
 Wellingtonia gigantea (now Sequoiadendron giganteum) - Wellingtonia or Giant Sequoia
 Mr Beeforth was a good supporter of local charities and of movements having for their end the advantage of the town. He was a magistrate of the North Riding of Yorkshire and among other prominent positions occupied a seat on the Board of Directors of The Electricity Supply Company and the Eastern Counties Insurance Company.